Vitamin D and Fish Oil
If you live in Minnesota, you are probably like me, and are desperate for some decent weather in order to get outside and get some fresh air. For the past month, if you walked outside, it was difficult to breathe because it was so cold. Hopefully we are at the end of that craziness, but there are definitely residual effects. If I had to guess, 99% of us need to do some supplementation. The other 1% were able to spend some extended time in a warm climate (most likely not in the United States). If you live in Minnesota, it is usually necessary to supplement vitamin D and omega 3's. We cannot get enough vitamin D from the sun in the winter... and this winter leaves us very deficient. There is very little vitamin D we can obtain from our food, do get tested by your favorite MD or naturopath, and find out how much you need. With fish oils, the problem is that we eat crappy. We eat too much fast food and not enough healthy fats. We need fat.... good clean fat. That is the problem. It is difficult to eat foods that are not filled with toxic hormones and other unwanted additives. We need to eat raw nuts, olives, olive oil, flax seeds, avocado, grass fed meats and cheese, and organic eggs. I know that many of these items are not easy to find at a reasonable price in Minnesota in the winter, so that is why I am recommending a supplement. If you don't tolerate fish, then look for alternatives to fish oils that provide omega 3's - primrose oil is one option. Trust me, these supplements will help you with warding off the winter blues. They will also help with im
Leave a Reply.
Shanna Seguin is a wife and mother of two. She is currently an Electrodermal Screening Technician with a background in Classical Naturopathy. She also is a high school special education teacher, and a nature enthusiast.